Monday, August 22, 2016

It's The Little Things (ft. co-op successes)

Today was a big day. I silenced that little intern voice in my head.



It’s so easy to get lost in all of that, “but am I good enough?”, “but do I ACTUALLY have something valuable to say”, chatter that runs rampant. I was watching a video the other day about the value or (lack thereof) of unpaid internships. As someone who has had both paid and unpaid positions, I could jump into that argument at length, but I’ll leave that for another day. The video was supposed to be comedic to prove a point about valuing the work of interns, but I saw a stereotype of the (mostly mythical) interns who only exist to get coffee. As for that argument – I’ll say only this for now, there is a reason that Northeastern requires co-op employers to pay their co-ops (with a few exceptions), but I have gotten great experiences out of unpaid internships as well – it’s completely situational.

Ok, so let’s move on – TODAY WAS A BIG DAY.

I’ve been loving my internship. In a little over a month, I have learned an immense amount and started developing some great relationships, but I hadn’t yet asked for anything. If you’re like me, this is where you cringe and go…”oh dear, where is she going with this?”. It’s ok, stay with me. Today, I asked to learn. Knowing that a particular member of the team focuses on an area that I am very interested in, I approached her and asked to help. This is an area that co-ops aren’t typically involved in, but everyone at the company has constantly reminded both me and the other co-ops to just speak up when we’re interested in something. Even still, I was admittedly nervous. There was that little part of my brain that sighed a breath of relief when she was out of her office and I delayed a day in asking, but bigger than that there was a disappointment in the delayed excitement. Today, I did it. Maybe you’re reading this now and laughing about how silly I was being or maybe you’ve felt this and tomorrow you’ll ask your manager to learn something new. Either way, congratulations, you’ve got this.


So let me leave you with this – the worst thing people can do is say no. I know everyone has told you that a billion times, but it’s so true. Even if a manager can’t use your help, they will remember that you put yourself out there. They will remember your curiosity, excitement, and ambition. For me, it turned out spectacularly and I can’t wait to start learning. It’s the little things. Today, I feel accomplished and let me tell you, it feels great.  

The New Me:


P.S. I think we should make a song about this ft. rap god "co-op successes". It's what all the cool kids are doing. 
P.S.S. On second thought, it should really just be a whole album. Next single out: "eating spaghetti in the workplace without looking like a college kid who can't cook/messy five year old/failure at life". Still working on the song title. Open to suggestions.

-xoxo-
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment